About Tesoro Corporation
Every day we create a safer and cleaner future as efficient providers of reliable transportation fuel solutions.
Who We Are
For more than 45 years, Tesoro has been serving the fuel transportation needs of the western United States. We are a leading independent refiner and marketer of petroleum products, committed to operating responsibly in the communities we serve. Headquartered in San Antonio, Texas, our operations extend across 18 states.
As crude oil sources, availability and costs shift, particularly in the United States, we aim to adapt to these market conditions in ways that benefit the long-term health of our business. We are expanding through strategic acquisition and organic growth, investing in capital projects and partnerships that will help lead to a successful future.
We are committed to delivering value to all of those invested in our success – the communities where we operate, our employees, our customers, our partners and our shareholders.
What We Do
Tesoro safely, efficiently and reliably operates an integrated network of strategic assets that create and sell refined petroleum products, from feedstock acquisition to wholesale, commercial and retail sales outlets.
At our refineries, Tesoro refines crude oil and other feedstocks into transportation fuels, such as conventional and CARB gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel and other petroleum products, including heavy fuel oils, liquefied petroleum gas, petroleum coke, calcined coke and asphalt.
Our marine operations charter U.S.- and foreign-flagged tankers to optimize the transportation of crude oil, other feedstocks and refined products within our refinery system.
Through our retail and marketing operations, Tesoro sells refined petroleum products in 17 states via commercial, wholesale and retail channels. Commercial marketing trades in commercial and military jet fuel and heavy fuel products. Our wholesale program markets gasoline and diesel fuel to independent marketers, commercial end-users and high-volume retailers. Our network of retail stations sells gasoline and diesel fuels and convenience products directly to consumers under the Tesoro®, Shell®, ARCO®, Exxon®, Mobil® and USA Gasoline™ brands.
Tesoro Corporation formed a master limited partnership, Tesoro Logistics LP(NYSE: TLLP), which has a significant presence in gathering, transporting, storing and distributing the crude and other feedstocks we refine. Tesoro Logistics LP assets include:
- Twenty refined products terminals and storage facilities in the western United States,
- Four marine terminals in California,
- A rail-car unloading facility in Washington,
- A petroleum coke handling and storage facility in California,
- The High Plains system that gathers and transports crude oil produced in the Williston Basin, including production from the Bakken Shale formation,
- The Northwest Product Pipeline that runs from Utah to Washington (including a 5-mile segment to the Salt Lake City International Airport), and
- Other pipelines that transport products and crude oil from Tesoro’s refineries to nearby facilities in Utah and California.
- Tesoro is a Spanish word meaning treasure.
- 2014 Fortune 500 ranking: 75
- Tesoro Corporation has more than 7,000 employees.
- Tesoro is one of the largest or the only refiner in three of the five states where our refineries are located: California, North Dakota and Utah.
- 2012 Top Workplace by the San Antonio Express-News
- 2012 Pinnacle Award winner for Golden Eagle and Salt Lake City refineries for chemical transportation safety
- 2011 NPRA (now AFPM) Award for Meritorious Safety Performance at Salt Lake City Refinery
- 2011 NPRA (now AFPM) Awards for Safety Achievement – Hours/Years at Salt Lake City Refinery
- 2010 – Achieved Star status under OSHA’s Voluntary Protection Program at Mandan Refinery
- 2007 – First Gold LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) Certified building in the city of Carson, Calif. recognized at Los Angeles Refinery