Tesoro operates in environmentally sensitive and diverse locations that have varying and complex regulations.
We use and strengthen our procedures, programs, tools and systems to better comply with existing regulations, and to establish processes that allow for continuous improvement.
To do this, we develop regionally appropriate goals and performance targets. At a corporate level, we review our management of key material issues, including our environmental footprint.
Key areas of environmental focus at Tesoro are:
- Air Emissions – At our refineries, we manage air emissions through the use of environmental management systems, and we are committed to implementing cost-effective energy conservation measures which reduce direct emissions of criteria air pollutants and greenhouse gases (GHGs). We monitor and report our emissions to government agencies on a regular basis. We remain committed to implementing programs that will improve air quality and mitigate our impact on the environment and local communities.
- Greenhouse Gas and Energy Use – Tesoro recognizes that climate change is an important global issue. We manage our GHG emissions by improving energy and process efficiencies, reducing flare activity where safely possible, monitoring for leaks and repairing them promptly, and minimizing energy loss through equipment insulation.
- Waste – At Tesoro, we proactively seek ways to reduce, reuse and recycle materials within our operations. While our preference is to minimize the amount of waste generated, we also look for ways to reuse or reclaim waste that is created.
- Water – We understand how important it is to responsibly manage fresh water use, especially in areas of water stress or scarcity. We routinely evaluate our operations for opportunities to reduce our water use and improve water quality. By working closely with local municipalities, we are also reducing our fresh water consumption by incorporating more recycled water into our operations. Some of the water used in the refining process becomes recycled wastewater. Wastewater is properly treated so that it is safe to release back into the environment. We ensure that wastewater discharged from our refineries meets or surpasses regulatory standards, and we continue to assess how we may improve water quality in
our treatment processes.
- Spill Prevention and Emergency Preparedness – We consider spills of any volume to be unacceptable. Nothing is more important to us than protecting the safety and well-being of the communities where we live and operate. To minimize risk, we’ve outlined a clear set of operational procedures and constantly refine them. We hold approximately 30 spill response drills annually to understand how we can improve our preparedness strategies. We also provide our employees with thousands of hours of additional training each year to ensure they are ready to respond.
- Ecosystem Protection – Our operations take place near sensitive ecosystems that contain diverse wildlife and habitats. We are vigilant in working to ensure that our operations do not have a negative impact on these natural resources.