Recognizing a Pipeline Leak
… by SIGHT:
- Liquid pools
- Continuous bubbling in wet or flooded areas
- Oily sheen on water surfaces
- Vaporous fogs or blowing dirt around a pipeline area
- Dead or discolored plants in an otherwise healthy area of vegetation
- Frozen ground in warm weather
… by SOUND:
- Volume can range from a quiet hissing to a loud roar, depending on the size of the leak and pipeline system pressure
… by SMELL:
- An unusual smell, petroleum odor or gaseous odor will sometimes accompany pipeline leaks.
If you believe you have spotted a leak, call 911 immediately.